Tuesday 19 October 2010

An Early Memory

One of my earliest memories was lying on the bedroom floor I shared with my older sister. We had a copy of Smash hits. As avid young Duran Duran fans we bought every copy of Smash Hits we could. At first we cut out the article on Duran Duran and stuck them into a scrape book, later we realised Smash Hits Magazines were a valuable commodity and we kept our copies pristine. We bought the magazine on the day it was published, we read it together. Reading Smash Hits was one of the very few times we didn't argue. We shared a love of pop music and the discovery of trivial information on the bands we loved and the music we heard. I remember one day we purchased a copy of this treasure periodical lying down to read it together we saw a picture of Legs and Co.  We talked about the picture I remember her asking me which one I like best. I pointed to Rosemary. I can't explain why I like Rosemary above the others. It was just that I was attracted to her. 

In hindsight the conversation was desperately normal  to me. I thought it was OK to like women. I was the first time in my life that I actually said out loud I like her. I didn't ever get the attraction to boys. I played the game picking a boy to like, to talk to the other girls about. I picked someone who was miles away from me so there was no chance of actual conversation.

It was only when I was a little older I realised that this beautifully innocent conversation which my sister probably won't have any recollection of was one of many seminal moments for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment